The beauty and vivacity of life on Kutch can be mirrored most exotically through the Rann Utsav. Geographically diverse and culturally enriched, the Rann of Kutch with its far-flung stretches of white salt marshes weaves a web of silvery dream that sinks into your consciousness like a lovely fairy tale. A shimmering white sandy panorama extending across the deep blue horizons comes alive with the joy and furor of festivity during the Rann Utsav. To know more about the Rann Utsav read on-
Gujarat Tourism department organizes a plethora of colorful cultural events in the Kutch region in order to showcase the region’s cultural vivacity and richness. The celebrations at Kutch take the nomenclature of ‘Kutch Mahotsav’ and offer an opportunity to people from different corners of the country and globe to experience Gujarat in its true flavors. The main reason behind organizing the Rann Utsav had been to promote foreign tourism in the Kutch region of Gujarat; one of the most extensive and ancient regions of Gujarat.
The grand Utsav is generally held in the winter months when there’s full moon embellishing the night sky and the air around is remarkably crisp. The fiesta of Rann Utsav has duration of about a month. In the present year of 2017, the Rann Utsav is supposed to start from 1st November – 20th February.
Dhordo village in Gujarat’s Kutch region which is about 85kms from the Bhuj town is the venue for the Rann Utsav.
How to Reach
Buses and taxis ply to the venue frequently and regularly from all the major cities of Gujarat. Those opting to travel by flight need to fly to the Bhuj airport first and then complete the rest of the journey by means of road transport. If one wishes to travel by train the Kutch express may be boarded. The Kutch express will take you to Gandhinagar after which you need to avail road transport to reach the venue.
There are several attractions associated with the Rann Utsav. Read on to learn more on this-
- Enchanting moments across the shimmering white Rann that looks stunning with its undulating silvery landscape on a full moon night…this is indeed a not-to-be-missed experience.
- Recreational and entertaining presentations plus activities such as traditional folk dances, folk music, art shows, craft exhibitions, musical moments, meditation and yoga lessons, gaming and spa zones, adventure zones etc.
- The most thrilling camel safaris across the vast stretches of the mesmerizing Rann.
- Exciting tent-stays accompanied by the best service and great amenities.
- Great opportunity to satiate your shopping impulses as several shops and stalls are put up selling a vast array of myriad items like bandhani sarees, traditional tribal ornaments, handicrafts,.
- Great opportunity to taste authentic Gujarati food sold in the many food stalls that are put up.
- Opportunity to participate in the famed dandiya raas with the locals.
- Exciting opportunity to make an excursion to other nearby places of immense interest for a traveler. Some such places are Dholavira archaeological site, Hodka village, Kala dungar, Kutch wild ass sanctuary, Narayan sarovar, Mandvi beach etc.
Where to Stay
You could consider putting up at one of the many luxury tents or Swiss tents set up during the festive times. Both AC and non-AC options are available when it comes to choosing your tent. Local home-stays referred to as Bunga, resorts at Dhordo village, GTDC Hostels are the other stay options.
Things to Remember
There are certain things you need to remember if you have decided to visit the Rann Utsav. Read on to learn about them-
- Pre-booking is a pre-requisite. Book at least 2 months ahead of the scheduled date.
- Government passes are required to travel to Kutch and such passes can be collected from Bhirandiyara check post.
- To have a comfortable travel experience to the Utsav venue it is best to take a private taxi.
- Huge crowds gather at the inauguration ceremony. To start your tour in an organized way you need to be at the inauguration ground much ahead of time.
- Always pay heed to the announcements made when you have reached the Utsav ground so that you don’t miss out on any vital announcement.